Want to improve your listening skills? Simple. Write “Shut Up!” on a Post-It note and put it on your phone for 21 days. (How long it takes to learn a new habit.)
Nothing you have to say to the other person is so important that you have to interrupt. Let her finish. From Improvise This! here are some listening stats:
- Amount of time we are distracted, preoccupied, or forgetful: 75%.
- How much we recall after we listen to someone talk: 50%.
- Amount of time we spend listening to others: 45%.
- How much we remember of what we hear: 20%.
- We listen at 125-250 words per minute, but we think at 1000 – 3000 words per minute.
- Number of business studies that indicate listening is a top skill needed for success in business? More than 35%.
- Amount of people with formal listening educational experience: 2%.
And the band played on: Listening is hard. Missing the meaning can be deadly. Ask the captain of the Titanic when told about the dangers of floating icebergs ahead.